Reset questions

Home Forums PeerWise – General Discussion Reset questions

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Paul Denny Paul Denny 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Denis Duret

Hi,

I have just received an email from a student enrolled on a Peerwise course. It seems that he has completed all the questions and would like to reset his score?

Is that possible?

Is it something he can do or should I be doing it myself as I am instructor for that course.

Denis

Paul Denny
    Key Master

Hi Denis,

Good question – actually, students can only review the questions they have previously answered rather than actually answering them again.  The ability to re-answer questions will be implemented as a feature in the near future.

In the meantime, if you want, you can add a new identifier for this student and then they can start all over again.

Cheers, Paul.

This is a very common request I receive from my students also. Good idea re creating another ID, but are there any plans to enable this feature in the future?

Paul Denny
    Key Master

Hi Johanna,

Yes, you can expect this feature to be available before the end of the week.

There were lots of ways this could have been done, so I have spent a bit of time considering options.  In particular, I think it will be useful for students to be able to easily locate those questions that they incorrectly answered the first time around (as these are probably the ones they would like to practice with again).

I also think it may be useful to display the first answers submitted when students originally answered the question separately from any subsequent answers.  Hopefully once students have seen all other student answers and read the explanation for the answer to the question, their follow-up responses will be more likely to converge to the correct answer.

Keep an eye out on the “Answered questions” page – there will be soon be an option on that page for re-answering the questions.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Hi Paul

That is fantastic, and it will be a great “additional” learning opportunity for the students.

I agree the students will want to re answer previous incorrect questions.

Jo

Paul Denny
    Key Master

Hi Jo,

It is now possible for students to re-answer questions.

In the “Answered questions” area, a student can choose to review the question (as usual) or they can click the icon in the “Answer again?” column to submit a new answer to the question.

In addition, students are now invited to “confirm” which answer they believe is the correct one, after they have had an opportunity to review the explanation, the comments, and the existing answers submitted by other students.  The very first answer that students submit to any question will always be displayed independently from the confirmed answers.  Hopefully, we will see that the confirmed answers tend to converge to the correct answer fairly quickly.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Awesome feature, I am already receiving positive feedback from the students with this new feature.

Hi Paul

This feature has been very well received by my students. I now have a group of students who want to re answer all the questions. I have set up a second identifiers for them so they will now have two identifiers for their course, but wondered if there is a way (or will be in the future) a way to clear all, rather than having to click on each question to answer again?

Thanks in advance

Jo

Paul Denny
    Key Master

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the note – I just wanted to check, have these students been answering questions (a second time) by clicking on the “Answer again” option in the Answered questions table? This would present the question to the student so that it could be answered again (without showing any previous answers). However, the questions all remain in the “Answered questions” area.

I think what you are proposing is moving all of the questions from the “Answered questions” area back to the “Unanswered questions” area. I can see the advantage of this is that then they could more easily keep track of which questions they have answered a second time (the questions would move back to the “Answered questions” area once they are answered), however they would still effectively be “clicking on the questions” they wanted to answer.

I realise this doesn’t answer your question – but just wanted to check whether or not your students were using the “Answer again” link in the “Answered questions” table.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Good morning Paul

Yes they are using the answer again feature and this is working great. But I have a group of students who just want to do all the questions again – I think they are challenging themselves to get them all right (or something similar). It seemed logical to simply provide them with a new identifier so they could in-essence use their two identifier for different purposes as they are learning and reviewing their knowledge.  I just wanted to check that I was not missing another feature that may or may not exist.

Jo

Paul Denny
    Key Master

You aren’t missing any feature :-) Using a second identifier (so the student can create another account) certainly is one solution, but is not ideal! The simplest way of “resetting” all of the questions would involve deleting the students previous answers, however these answers do provide some useful information (to all students) about how the questions were answered the first time around. Another idea might be to improve the way questions are ordered in the “Answered questions” table – so that it is clearer whether a question has been attempted a second time. Thanks for the feedback on this Jo, I will think about this a bit more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.